Pattiann Rogers (born 1940) is an American poet, and is on the faculty of the low residency MFA Program in Creative Writing at Pacific University.
Pattiann Rogers was born, raised and educated from elementary school poet Pattiann Rogersthrough high school in Joplin, Missouri. She graduated Phi Beta Kappa from the University of Missouri, Columbia, with a Bachelor of Arts degree in English Literature and a minor in Zoology. She holds a Master’s Degree in Creative Writing from the University of Houston.
Pattiann Rogers is an American poet living in Colorado with her husband and has two sons and three grandsons. She was born in Joplin, Missouri, and graduated Phi Beta Kappa with a bachelor's degree from the University of Missouri in 1961. She received a Master of Arts degree from the University of Houston in 1981. She taught as a visiting writer at the University of Texas, the University of Montana, and at Washington University in St. Louis. She was the Ferrol Sams Distinguished Writer-in-Residence at Mercer University and was on the faculty of the low residency MFA Program in Creative Writing at Pacific University. She was Associate Professor, and taught in the MFA Creative Writing Program during the spring semesters, 1993 to 1997, at the University of Arkansas.
In May 2000, she was in residency at the Rockefeller Foundation's Bellagio Study and Conference Center in Bellagio, Italy She is a contributing editor at The Alaska Quarterly Review.
Firekeeper was chosen by Publishers Weekly as one of the Best Books Published in 1994, was one of five finalists for the Lenore Marshall Poetry Prize (given by the Academy of American Poets) in 1994, and received the Natalie Ornish Poetry Award from the Texas Institute of Letters. Song of the World Becoming (Milkweed Editions, 2001) contains all of Rogers' poems previously published in her books through 2001, 40 new poems, and line and title indexes. It was a finalist for the Los Angeles Times Book Award and was named an Editor's Choice, Top of the List by Booklist.
Ms. Rogers is the mother of renowned materials scientist Professor John A. Rogers, currently at Northwestern University.
Grants, Fellowships, And Awards
Rogers has received two NEA Grants, a Guggenheim Fellowship, a 2005 Lannan Literary Award for Poetry, and a 1993 Lannan Literary Fellowship. Her poems have been awarded the Tietjens Prize for Poetry, the Hokin Prize, and the Bock Prize for Poetry, the Theodore Roethke Prize from Poetry Northwest, the Strousse Award from Prairie Schooner, in 1993 and 1996, five Pushcart Prizes, and an appearance in The Best American Poetry of 1996, edited by Adrienne Rich. She was the 1987 poet in residence at The Frost Place in Franconia, NH, and in 2004 she was judge for the National Poetry Series.
Her poems have appeared in these anthologies;
- Best Spiritual Writing in 1999, 2000, 2001
- Prentice Hall Anthology of Women's Literature, Verse and Universe
- Poets of the New Century
- The Measured Word (on poetry and science)
- Stand-Up Poetry
- David Wagoner, David Lehman, eds. (2009). "A Blind Astronomer in the Age of Stars". Best American Poetry. Simon and Schuster. ISBN 978-0-7432-9976-3.
- Leon Stokesbury, ed. (1999). "In Order to Perceive". The Made Thing. University of Arkansas Press. ISBN 978-1-55728-579-9.
- The Discovery of Poetry
- The Grand Array, Trinity University Press, 2010, ISBN 978-1-59534-067-2
- Wayfare. Penguin. 2008. ISBN 978-0-14-311334-8.
- Generations. Penguin. 2004. ISBN 978-0-14-200450-0.
- Song of the World Becoming, New and Collected Poems, 1981 - 2001, Milkweed Editions, 2001, ISBN 978-1-57131-413-0
- A Covenant of Seasons, a collaboration with the artist Joellyn Duesberry, Hudson Hills Press, 1998, ISBN 978-1-55595-155-9
- The Dream of the Marsh Wren, Writing as Reciprocal Creation, Milkweed Editions, 1999, ISBN 978-1-57131-228-0
- Eating Bread and Honey, Milkweed Editions, 1997, ISBN 978-1-57131-406-2
- Firekeeper, New and Selected Poems Milkweed, 1994; Milkweed, 2005, ISBN 978-1-57131-421-5
- Geocentric, Gibbs Smith Publisher, 1993, ISBN 978-0-87905-551-6
- Splitting and Binding. Wesleyan University Press. 1989. ISBN 978-0-8195-1173-7.
- Legendary Performance (Ion Press, 1987)
- The Tattooed Lady in the Garden Wesleyan University Press, 1986, ISBN 978-0-8195-6149-7
- The Expectations of Light Princeton University Press, 1981, ISBN 978-0-691-01386-2